23% Sodium Brine
23% sodium chloride brine is a clear solution comprised of 23% sodium chloride crystals and 77% water by weight with less than 1% of impurities (other chlorides).
Appearance: Clear Liquid
Specific Gravity's Range
1.18 +/- .02
-21 C (-6F)
sodium chloride brine is an effective
solution for ant-icing and pre-wetting
applications. In anti-icing
applications, this salt solution dries
quickly on the roadway in comparison to
other commonly used solutions, leaving
behind salt crystals. This prevents the
ice and frost from forming or bonding to
the surface of the road while
maintaining reasonable surface friction.
As a pre-wetting agent, liquid sodium
chloride is a low cost, low maintenance
alternative providing all the benefits
of the more expensive pre-wetting agents
in the regions where the winter
temperatures are milder in nature. 23%
Sodium Chloride brine can also be blended with
Agrimelt, which together provide a corrosion resistant product with a much lower freezing point. All suggested usage levels should be considered as starting points and need adjustment to meet local conditions such as
current and forecasted road and surface
temperatures, precipitation, traffic volume, etc.
Anti-Icing and Pre-Wetting
- Apply 60 - 100 litres/lane kilometre for Anti-icing using a stream nozzle.
- - Apply 20-42 litres/tonne at the spinner for pre-wetting sand and/or salt.
- - Prevents snow and ice from bonding to the pavement when used as an anti- icing agent.
- - Reduces bounce and scatter losses during application from 30% loss down
to only 4% loss.
- - Jumpstarts the de-icing process.
- - Quickly dries on pavement leaving sodium crystals to protect against ice